Monday, June 14, 2010

A Couple Rants

1. Kleenex Hand Towels
Reference: THIS

Ok. So I will concede the point that Kimberly-Clark is trying to make that your hands are only as clean as the towel that dries them, but that's as far as I will agree with the need for this product. Thank you, Kimberly-Clark corporation, for once again pandering to the "needs" of lazy, wasteful American society. We should all now stock our HOME bathrooms with disposable paper towels instead of just WASHING our non-disposable towels more often. Right.

"Families have not had a practical alternative to traditional cloth hand towels in their home bathrooms. Until now."

This is a pre-cut disposable paper towel. Of COURSE we've had this product available to us before now. It's not revolutionary. These have been in every public restroom across the United States for as long as I can remember. AND, if I wanted disposable towels in my home bathroom, I'd just install a wall mount holder for a ROLL of paper towel. This is completely stupid.

AND....it's bad for the planet. But don't worry....Kimberly-Clark has responded with the following answers about their commitment to conservation in the FAQ section of the web page about this product.

"Does Kimberly-Clark have sustainability standards?
Kimberly-Clark has long recognized the importance of corporate responsibility and integrated the concept of sustainability in our business practices. We published our first annual sustainability report in 2004, and the reports can be reviewed at www.kimberly-clark.com. From raw materials, our manufacturing processes, even our supply chain, we're building sustainability into every facet of how we work. This includes selecting suppliers that operate in a sustainable manner. To that end, we work hard to assure that the wood fiber we purchase comes only from well-managed forestlands or from recycled sources."

Ok. Sounds good. But wait!

"Are KLEENEX® Brand Hand Towels made with recycled fiber?
Because of the superior softness consumers expect from KLEENEX® Brand, KLEENEX® Brand Hand Towels are made with 100 percent virgin fiber. The product's unique, Cottony-Soft base sheet is free of inks, dyes and fragrances and is soft enough for faces yet durable for family needs."

So, wait? You DO use recycled sources? Or you don't? I'm so confused.

"Are any responsible forestry practices in place?
Kimberly-Clark has one of the most progressive fiber procurement policies in the tissue industry. We support forestry practices that help conserve valuable forestlands, respect fundamental human rights and ensure both a thriving ecosystem and a sustainable source of wood fiber for the future. In fact, K-C was the first major tissue company to set the goal of purchasing 100 percent of our wood fiber from suppliers that gain independent certification of their woodlands or their fiber procurement activities."

Oh. You know what's more sustainable? CLOTH TOWELS!!!!


2. The "Travel Florida" commercial that they air during the World Cup
I didn't turn up a link for this one within the first 30 seconds of Google, so I'll just have to try to tell you about the heinousness of this commercial if you didn't see it.

The commercial starts out by effectively saying, "Are you worried that the Gulf Oil Spill will ruin the potential vacation you wanted to take to Florida? Well, have no fear, we have a LOT of beaches. Some of them are bound to be totally not ruined by oil!" I wish I were kidding. At one point the commercial actually says "there are miles and miles of beaches along the coast of southwest Florida. Most of them boast crystal clear water."

Good for you, Florida. I'm glad that your tourism industry isn't entirely in the toilet. I was really concerned that you might be experiencing catastrophic losses. I will now rest easier at night since I don't have to be concerned about the oil in the Gulf ruing your fun. Just oysters and pelicans. That's nothing, right? As long as people can still go on their vacations!!!

Rants over for today. Why is this country so heinous. THAT'S why I don't cheer for your football (I mean soccer...I mean football) team.

1 comment:

Sari said...

I needed to post discussion I had on this via Facebook because I think it's important!

A comment I received:
"Having been on the other side, e.g. marketing/communications for the Steamboat Ski Area in Colorado, I feel the pain of the Florica coast businesses who are in peril. We had V...ERY bad drought winters in 76-77 and 80-82. So bad that we were shoveling snow out of the trees an onto the runs. The area had to shut down and lots of people were laid off. It was my job to let the public know that half of the mountain, e.g. the top, was in good shape. It's hard to watch your livelihood collapse when there is something that can still attract vacationers. Think of the maids, busboys, waiters, etc. who lost jobs."

My response:
"I know. I was probably a bit harsh. It was just one of those things that I couldn't help but think that Florida tourism overall probably wasn't hurting that badly. Plus, as you've likely picked up by reading my posts, I'm a bit miffed at... the whole Gulf situation in general, so I felt like Florida trying to tell people that they were fine and people should still go on vacation was some slight to what went on.

I do understand the other side. My rants about things very often ignore the side of things that aren't my direct opinion at the time. But! Thanks for posting the counterpoint (or trying to...I don't know why the word capture doesn't appear, I'll look into it). I need to be kept in check most of the time.. :)"