Thursday, July 29, 2010

For More Information, Please Visit Our Website

For quite a long time now I've been amused whenever I see internet/cable companies advertising for their services on TV. Especially when they advertise on CABLE TV. But my favorite ads have always been the ones that directed me to their website to learn more about their fantastic internet deals. From a young age I was able to see the absurdity of someone telling me to visit their website to learn more about getting their internet service.

Even better, is B canceling our old internet and the service rep telling him that they would send him an updated bill to his e-mail address.....

This week, I managed to top even THAT absurdity......

I just moved, and I wanted to get a new customer rate on TV and internet services. I went to the service center for Comcast (the local "Comcastic" cable/internet provider) since I cannot have a dish at my new place, and they told me what their current TV special that would still allow me to get HD, DVR, and Fox Soccer Channel was. I told them to sign me up. They then told me that they had a deal on internet. I was debating not getting their internet and going with the DSL instead because DSL internet is cheaper, so I thought I'd hear them out. What they told me was that I could get their fastest service for $19.99/month for 6 months IF I was an existing Comcast customer. So, the guy at the service center advised me to get my cable installed, wait a day, then use my customer number to order my internet. BUT! The deal for internet was only valid on the website. Yes. Comcast instructed me to ORDER my internet OVER THE INTERNET. It was all I could do to not look this gentleman in the face and say, "You're kidding me, right?"

And so. Tuesday night. I took my laptop (fortunately I have a laptop) and my customer number and walked across the street to the coffee shop (which is fortunately right across the street--though not close enough that I could just use their internet from my living room window) and attempted to order the internet over the internet.

I leave you with some parting screen grabs from my unsuccessful attempt* to order my internet off of a website.
Did you just seriously say you were going to charge me $30 to install a CD and plug a coaxial cable from my outlet to my modem, but you would only charge me $25 to pay your tech to come out to my house and do it?

I'm pretty sure you asked me the same question twice here. I could be wrong.

So, apparently there are two $30 fees? Neither of which makes sense?

It was a failure, ultimately. I ended up just calling them the next day and getting the slowest level of service for $24.99/month. I should have just gotten the DSL.....

* Waste of a perfectly good hour, which then led to me having to sprint across the street in torrential downpour with my laptop only to get home to stand in the hallway with the power out dripping wet and trying to get into the house in the dark.

No comments: