Friday, April 16, 2010

A Few Things of Substance After A Long Absence

Sadly, not substance in my life. That doesn't have much substance beyond all sorts of details and minutiae that I'm trying to avoid boring the rest of the world with.

That said, it IS spring here in Minneapolis, and I think that's something worth celebrating. We've made it through another long, cold, dark Siberian winter. I, fortunately, was able to take several week long respites to warmer locales. However, it's now the first of the short durations of the year here in the upper midwest where I rejoice in how amazing the weather is. That said, I'm trying to get outside as much as I possibly can, and I encourage the rest of you living anywhere where the weather is this pleasant to get out and enjoy the coming of spring when the earth is waking up from a long sleep.

It's also almost Earth Day, which is kind of a big deal in my line of work (saving the world, etc.). That said, I wanted to link you to some cool and interesting things going on in my organization and something revolutionarily amazing happening in Washington, D.C.

The Atlas of Global Conservation--A major breakthrough for conservation GIS

The Nature Conservancy's Science Blog--full of lot of insight from amazing people I work with who are far smarter and more insightful than me

Some Earth Day Links:
http://www.earthday.org/earthday2010
http://earthday.net/earthday2010
http://holidays.kaboose.com/earth-day/--Some cool Earth Day activities and projects for kids and adults, alike!

Finally.....one of the BEST initiatives I've heard of in a really long time. Major, major props to Washington, D.C. Let's get this enacted in every city across this country of ours and beyond:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/03/plastic-bag-use-dc-drops-22-million-3-million.php

I hope this inspires at least a few of you to get out into nature, participate in some Earth Day activities, reduce your emissions/carbon footprint, use re-useable shopping bags, and generally go forth and save the world!

2 comments:

Molly said...

the plastic bag thing is awesome, as is the nature conservancy science blog. good post.

Sari said...

Yay thanks! I'm SO loving the plastic bag thing. As soon as I get some free time (very soon!!!) I'm going to get in touch with my friends who have friends who know things about legislation and see if I can't move that along.

I'm glad you liked this!